Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fighting Colds - What Cold Remedies Work?

While recently reading the February 2008 Issue of Shape Magazine, I found myself drawn to the article discussing cold remedies. You see, I've been battling a severe cold for over 2 weeks now, that began with strep throat and has since evolved into one whopper of an illness!

So here's the skinny on the following 4 common cold remedies:

  1. Echinacea - This herb has been studied extensively but up until now, echinacea has gotten mixed reviews. However, a recent review of several studies with over 1,300 subjects in Lancet Infectious Diseases, has finally put the debate to rest. It appears that echinacea can in fact reduce your risk of catching a cold by 58%! I'll be sure to take it next winter before the first sign of a cold hits!
  2. Ginseng - In a recent study, Canadian researchers have shown that North American ginseng (2 x 200 mg capsules daily) reduced the incidence of colds by 27%, when compared to a placebo. Hooray for ginseng!
  3. Vitamin C - A recent review in the Cochrane Library found that vitamin C decreased cold risk for people who put their bodies under stress (e.g., long-distance runners). I don't know about you, but I am often under stress and it has nothing to do with running a marathon!
  4. Zinc - Using a zinc gel nasal swab, according to researchers at Stanford University, decreased the length of a cold and lessened its severity. Another great find.
There you have it. Four great cold-fighters to the rescue! As soon as I get better, I will be arming myself appropriately. How about you?

Have a great night!

Sandy Huard, President, Women's Health Supply International

No comments: